The New Year is here and with it comes new resolutions to fill your calendar full of parties, work and school events, and cherished family get-togethers. These health-focused days are welcomed as we all aim to be our best, but sometimes life can come at you with a bevy of snacks and meals that can be challenging to navigate with the added task of proper brace maintenance.
JB Orthodontics’ goal is, as always, to help you navigate your goals while still maintaining optimum oral health so that your resolutions aren’t interrupted with an emergency brace repair!
Below are a few quick and easy tips to help you avoid unnecessary extensions to your treatment plan!
Some links herein take you to Amazon and are associate links. As such, we may earn from qualifying purchases.
- DO enjoy sweet snacks like dried fruits.
- DON’T dip into the lovely bowls filled with nuts, hard candies, and caramels.
Even the healthiest nut-brittles or all-natural taffy flavors are all foods that can go from sweet to SOUR if a wire pops or a bracket slips. Steer clear of these snacking pitfalls that can prolong your treatment plan.
- DO enjoy thinly sliced apples and pears dipped in your favorite creamy sauce.
- DON’T chomp into whole fruits.
In general, whole apples and pears that require you to dig into with your teeth make for poor bedfellows at mealtimes. Sliced fruits let you enjoy all the flavor and healthy perks with none of the risks!
- DO enjoy healthy fresh shucked corn kernels.
- DON’T be tempted to bite into a fresh cob.
Raw vegetables make incredibly healthy snack options when your resolutions are aiming towards a healthier whole body. With braces, however, you must THINLY slice them to avoid an emergency orthodontic repair.
- DO enjoy your favorite healthy new recipes, including new dessert treats.
- DON’T overlook an opportunity to use healthier sweetener options like Xylitol or Monk fruit to limit the amount of processed sugar that glazes those pearly whites.
We understand that snack temptations can pop-up out of nowhere. So be prepared and keep the good health initiatives going. Embrace the healthier alternatives to refined sugar, and carry a simple back-up kit of supplies (your personal BRACE BAG) at all times to keep those teeth pristinely clean!
As always, we here at JB Orthodontics are committed to creating beautiful smiles for patients of all ages. Any advice herein is NOT meant to replace the advice of your personal orthodontist but is offered solely for educational purposes. Please follow our blog to learn more about the artistry of smile design, and we hope you contact our offices today to book a consultation in either of our two convenient Fairfield County locations.
Be Well and Smile Bright!