Early Childhood Orthodontic Treatment
At JB Orthodontics in Norwalk and Stamford CT, Dr. John Bibko will evaluate your child for early orthodontic, preventative treatment.
Braces For Children Starting at Age 7
The American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) recommends that all children have an orthodontic evaluation at the age of 7 to prevent the onset of specific dental and jaw abnormalities. Although most patients start orthodontic treatment when all permanent teeth are erupted, early treatment may be needed to correct early problems. An early orthodontic evaluation allows the orthodontist to detect these problems and treat as necessary.
Below are some benefits Dr. John Bibko can provide with early treatment:
- Determine a better prognosis for how adult teeth will develop
- Correct harmful oral habits such as thumb-sucking or finger-sucking
- Correct problems such as front or back crossbites
- Guide permanent teeth into desirable positions as they erupt
- Decrease the risk of damage to protruding teeth
- Improve appearance and self-esteem
- Create a functional and pleasing arrangement of lips, teeth and face
- Prevent future and more invasive dental correction
Some conditions that may indicate the need for early treatment:
- Thumb or finger sucking
- Early loss of baby teeth
- Missing teeth
- Crowded or displaced teeth
- Teeth that meet abnormally or not at all
- Difficulty in chewing or biting
- Jaws that are out of proportion to the face
Request a consultation with Dr. Bibko to find out if early orthodontic treatment is right for your child.